Accountants play a pivotal role in modern society. From helping people pay their taxes, to keeping the books and helping to balance budgets at all levels of business and government, the field is broad and there are many roles for accountants to play.
The purpose of this accounting resource guide is to provide accountants with quality resources covering various aspects of this vast field. Below are forty links, each with a small description, of various accounting associations, publications and conferences all seeking to serve accounting professionals by providing insight and support.
- American Accounting Association was founded in 1916 as the American Association of University Instructors in Accounting and changed to its present name in 1936. The association exists to provide support and networking opportunities to those interested in accounting education and research.
- AGN International-North America was formed in 1978 and since then has operated under the premise that the best way to catalyze the growth of its members is to enable the sharing of information and resources of members with each other.
- American Association of Finance and Accounting was founded in 1978 as an alliance of various executive search firms for the specific purpose of facilitating the recruitment of accounting and finance professionals.
- American Society of Women Accountants is an organization devoted specifically to the advancement of women within the field of accounting through the provision of networking and professional development opportunities.
- Association of Government Accountants is a support organization for government accounting and finance professionals with more than 16,000 members from all walks of public sector finance.
- Financial Management Association serves the financial management community through the advancement of knowledge regarding basic and applied research, best practices, and developing opportunities for professional interaction.
- National Conference of CPA Practitioners: is a professional organization devoted to the representation and professional advancement of CPA practitioners through advocacy, the promotion of intellectual exchange, and professional development programs which help members maintain a competitive edge in the field.
- National Association of Tax Professionals was founded in 1979 and is devoted to facilitating the success of its diverse membership of tax professionals, including but not limited to accountants and CPAs, by providing them support, professional development opportunities, and other services.
- Association of International Accountants was founded in 1928 and is a global collective of professional accountants. AIA is dedicated to developing its members into successful professionals with an international perspective by providing them with tailored, relevant services.
- Management Accounting Quarterly is a refereed online journal geared toward both academics and practitioners in the fields of finance and accounting. The journal provides in depth articles on a wide range of topics relevant to accounting and accounting management.
- Accountancy Magazine is a United Kingdom publication and the leading monthly magazine for UK chartered accountants. The magazine features a wide range of articles by specialists and commentators devoted to keeping its readers on the cutting edge of the field.
- International Accountant is a bi-monthly magazine produced by the Association of International Accountants. The magazine covers a wide range of accounting and finance related topics with an international perspective.
- Global Accountant is an online magazine styled website with both a free side and more in depth subscriber side that provides its readers with news, technical articles, training opportunities, and career articles featuring a global perspective and insight into the international development of the financial industry.
- Journal of Corporate Accounting and Finance is a bi-monthly journal that provides its subscribers new insights into corporate finance and accounting. The journal is geared specifically toward finance executives but the content is beneficial to anybody employed in a corporate accounting or finance capacity.
- Accounting Today is a magazine styled website featuring content that ranges across the landscape of the accounting field as a whole. The site includes not just articles, but podcasts, videos, and more.
- Accounting and Business Magazine is an international accounting magazine published ten times per year in six different forms, each tailored based on the region of the subscriber, to best highlight news and events affecting that particular region.
- Journal of Accountancy has been published continuously since 1905 and is the primary publication of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Articles cover a broad range of topics, ensuring that accountants from all corners of the industry will benefit from its insights.
- New York Times Accounting is a portion of the New York Times website that collects all stories and articles related to the field of accounting in one convenient place.
- Wall Street Journal Accounting is part of the Wall Street Journal’s website that collates all accounting related articles and stories and organizes them on one page for the convenience of the reader.
- Accountancy Live is an online magazine with both free and subscriber only content. Accountancy Live is an independent resource that prides itself on being written by accountants and for accountants.
- Accounting, Auditing, and Accountability Journal is a journal devoted to the dissemination of accounting knowledge. AAAJ prides itself on providing subscribers with high quality articles focused on the interaction between accounting and auditing, and their socioeconomic and political contexts.
- Journal of Accounting Research is a quarterly journal that publishes original research utilizing a variety of proven research methods to study all aspects of the accounting field.
- International Journal of Accounting seeks to advance the scholarly and professional understanding of accounting on the international stage. The journal focuses specifically on the application of accounting techniques to international economic transactions.
- Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies is a new journal focusing primarily on the development of accounting infrastructure in emerging economies with the goal of aiding them in adapting their accounting infrastructure to the rate of growth of the economy.
- The CPA Journal Online is a technical-refereed publication produced by the New York State Society of CPAs aimed at educators, practitioners and regulators in the field of finance.
- International Journal of Critical Accounting is a peer-reviewed international journal that examines new trends in critical accounting and the issues faced by companies in a rapidly developing financial market.
- The Accounting Review is one of the most highly recognized journals in accounting and is published by the American Accounting Association. This journal is dedicated to publishing the most influential cutting edge research in the accounting field while explaining and demonstrating accounting related research methods.
- Contemporary Accounting Research publishes cutting edge research in accounting, primarily aimed at understanding the role of accounting within organizations.
- Journal of Accounting and Economics seeks to advance the understanding of the relationship between economic theory and accounting practices.
- Accounting, Organizations, and Society seeks to explore the relationships between accounting, human behavior, the processes and structures of organizations, and the social and political environment.
- Review of Accounting Studies is an outlet for important theoretical, empirical, and experimental work and research. The journal maintains a steadfast devotion to academic rigor in all forms of accounting research.
- Growth and Profitability Summit is a conference hosted by Accounting Today with content featuring accounting techniques and best practices concerning growth and profitability.
- Financial Reporting and Accounting Conference is the leading financial reporting and accounting event in Canada. The conference focuses on the most important emerging issues facing both privately held and publicly traded companies.
- Journal of Accounting and Economics Conference is sponsored by William E. Simon Graduate School of Business Administration at the University of Rochester and Charles Rivers Associates. The goal of the conference is the exploration of the relationship between economics and accounting.
- AICPA Digital CPA Conference focuses on how CPAs may adopt and take advantage of innovative technologies increasingly available to small and mid-sized businesses.
- International Conference on Business and Economic Research features multidisciplinary content applicable to all aspects of the financial industry, from accounting to banking.
- Annual Accounting Conference is co-sponsored by various universities and private and public institutions in the state of Utah and has been held annually for 36 years. Presentation topics include tax laws, audit updates, and financial statement reporting.
- Events in America Accounting Conferences List provides accounting professionals with a list featuring a large collection of specialized and relevant conferences.
- The Sleeter Group’s 2012 Accounting Solutions Conference is a conference focused on a multidisciplinary approach to the exploration of accounting solutions and brings together accounting professionals, consultants, partners, and developers for three days of collaboration, networking, and innovation.
- Conference on Financial Economics and Accounting is hosted by the Kelley School of Business at Indiana University that utilizes a selective, refereed method for choosing its speakers to ensure attendees will experience only the highest quality content.